Thursday, January 21, 2010

Monday Reflection

On Monday, we woke up thinking that we would be gutting a church in the upper 9th ward. We ended up having an incredible day meeting some residents (old and new) of the lower 9th ward, learning about them, their experiences and their hopes for their community.

While Mom, Allie, little Dana and I were walking down Royal Street, it was immediately obvious that barely half of the street was occupied. The homes that some lived in were kept with a lot of love and pride. You could tell that the residents were happy to be back in their old neighborhood or to have moved to the community to help the original residents rebuild. In the middle of our time walking the streets of the lower 9th ward and talking to the residents, I was filled with hope for the area in the midst of the abandoned houses and after learning about the real destruction that happened.

After we had spoken with everyone we could on our street, we headed back to the cars and on the way back we met two amazing women who returned to their life-long neighborhood with grand hopes for the future. These are the women who I will remember most from that walk down Royal Street. The women who were grateful for any help being given to their neighborhood. The women who open their homes to others in need of love. The women who desperately want to bring their community back to life.

Upon returning to the cars and meeting up with other parts of the group we realized that they had spoken with individuals with incredibly inspirational stories and we felt like we kind of got a dud of a street. In some way, I felt like I had missed out on the truly inspiring, life-changing stories and people. I felt jipped. But after reflecting upon our day, I realized that I walked down Royal Street for a reason. I met those people for a reason. I am changed by their presence and stories for a reason.

Even though I was not touched in the way many others were, I know that my time was well-spent helping the people in that neighborhood. Because, when I stepped back from it, I realized how selfish I was being. My focus became the experience I was having rather then the help I was providing for those affected by Hurricane Katrina. After walking through the middle of a neighborhood wiped out because of human error and in the middle of a community hopeful for their future despite setbacks, I was worried about what I was getting from it. I think this is the reason I was on Royal Street...to bring me back to reality, to remind me of what is really important and to humble me.

Our experience this past weekend in New Orleans is one I will forever keep with me. The faces of the people we met at All Souls Episcopal Church and on the streets of the lower 9th ward will forever be etched in my mind. The nature preserve that was once under 8 feet of water will be something I always remember. My realization of how selfish we can be even when we have the best intentions to help will be a lesson I carry with me everywhere.

I am grateful to the city and people of New Orleans for opening their arms to us. I am grateful to the 17 amazing women who rejuvenated my spirit. I am hopeful that the work we did helped the city and people of New Orleans.
-Pallie

1 comment:

shanon melson said...

WoW! I'm so inspired! I love your family, too! I taught Kate, Bess, Anna, and Jack! (all as fourth graders) Watching these kids and all of the other sibliings grow up has been a blessing in my life. I hope that all of the children realize how fortunate they are to have had so many opportunities during their life to be a blessing to others. I credit your wonderful parents with instilling love, generosity, and giving into your being! I would love to journey with you all one day. I can't wait to hear about your next journey of giving! Yes you can!!!!!
Love and peace,
Shanon Melson
Carrollton