Thursday, January 21, 2010

Relfection, by Squid( Sydney)

Hey y'all. It's sydney. I really do not know what to say, it is so hard discribing my experiences in New Orleans. I have never felt so at peace in my life while we were there. This week I have been writing my Laws of Life essay i have to do each year in English, and i decided to write about our trip. And my quote i used was,

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else."
Booker T. Washington

This quote speaks the truth, helping other people and meeting such grateful and beautiful people is what makes me happy and what lifts me up. Strangers are just friends you havent met yet. My favorite memory from New Orleans was definatly meeting Betty MaGee. Monday we walked around the Lower 9th Ward getting petitions signed for more schools. This woman really did change my life. She was just so full of life and willing to talk to us. I am currently writing her a letter, and i hope for one in return!

I also enjoyed planting trees, i was the master hole digger in my group! Haha, I gave credit to my mom for teaching me most of the skills i used on this trip. :) So tanks mommy!

What surpised me the most about New Orleans were the X's on the house's that have not been touch since Katrina. And some houses with the X's people lived in! It's so surreal until you acutally witness all this. And when our tour guide Nick would not go to parts of the city, its weird living in a city where there is barely ANY crime at all, then being in a city where people are afraid of being killed if they venture there.

I really love my family, they are a blessing to me. I am so grateful for them. Dana is the cutest little button i have ever seen in my life. She is so funny and a great person to be around. :) She is so sincere and you cannot have a bad time when you're around her!! Invisible football as well, haha. I love all my family members, keep on groovin :)

One thing i loved was working, and then being tired because you know you accomplished something :) and then taking a shower, feeling accomplished is such a great feeling :)

Burbon street...haha. When i'm 21 i am definatly going back!! :D

This trip has changed my life, i can tell a different spring in my step and way i approach people now. I have been looking for volunteer organizations in Carrollton, and i am signing up for Habitat for Hummanity. I have even gotten one of my best friends on the bandwagon and we are both going to the soup kitchen to serve food! After college i am joining the peace corps as well :)

I want to give a special shoutout for Laurel for getting all this together, you are an amazing woman! :)


-SQUID :)


No comments: