Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Unbroken circle

One of the best parts of each day was the reflection circle at the end of the day. Since we didn't get to reflect on our last day and were asked to post our reflections, I hope we'll continue to have the unbroken circle.

I'll begin with my reflection of Monday's events, which I admit I was a bit wary of before we started. However, it didn't take long to feel the spirit of hope and community and also see the sadness and frustration in the background. We knocked on many unanswered doors but those that did open were stories forever etched in my heart and memory. I'm so very glad we had the opportunity to talk with some of the people in the Lower Ninth Ward and hear their stories. For me, it put faces on and gave voices to the people in all the stories we have heard. After talking with one lady who is just now able to afford to get her house repaired enough to move back home, she said "thank you for coming here and caring about us. it's important that you are here and everything you do helps us." She's a foster parent and eager to open her doors again to those in need.

Back home with a few sore muscles and a blister or two which are hardly noticeable because of my soaring spirit. What an awesome few days with 17 incredible women, some who are relatives and some who are treasured new friends. There was an age difference of 50 years but not one difference as far as desire to help, commitment, eagerness to work, willingness to share and pure unmitigated fun.

Laurel has captured beautifully the events of each day but there is no way to describe the bond I feel with these women and the pride I have in being part of this group who really make a difference.

Janie Davis


No comments: