Wednesday, January 20, 2010

No expectations/beyond expectations

I apologize for blogging twice in a row, but I want to offer my reflections on the Heard Girls' NoLa 2010 weekend while I'm still reflecting. I think it was Laurel and Bess who came up with theme of no expectations/beyond expectations; it really sums up this weekend. The amazing thing to me is how our projects and our experiences all seemed to interweave, despite that we started this trip with few (if any) plans. When Nick took us to the big pond where the wetlands had been, our planting the day before really made sense. (And, 4 sure our group did plant two more than your group...whoever you are.) At church, Lydia preached about using our gifts no matter how small, and Monday we met Patricia, who specifically talked about her gift with no prompting from us. She voiced her pride and frustration over the fact that she has such a gift for teaching but she has not been able to use that gift, or do anything productive, since the car wreck that left her partially paralyzed. Patricia literally cannot remember which house she lived in before Katrina, she has lost the mother who she was obviously very close to, and she is basically homebound. Yet, she talked to us about not being able to use her gift to help others! So, I leave this trip motivated to identify and use my gifts, but also really thinking about my blessings. For starters, I am so blessed to have three daughters who are so kind and caring and fun. And such good rappers! And I am blessed to be a Heard Girl. What an amazing group of women. From the youngest to the "most experienced," these women rock. To those Heard Girls who couldn't make this trip, we're still holding a spot for you. Finally, I'm blessed to have such warm and loving friends who would sign on for this trip with very little understanding of what was in store - who went on nothing but faith and a desire to help others. I love you all. Thank you, Laurel for being the best event planner ever! Let's keep this new tradition alive. - Dana

No comments: